Pictures provided by Katherine Alvord Thomas
Pleasant Hill, twelve miles west of Paris and south of U.S. Highway 82 in western Lamar County, was settled by 1897, when the school had an enrollment of forty-three. During the mid-1930s the community comprised a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. Pleasant Hill declined after World War II, and by 1990 only the church and a few scattered dwellings remained in the area.
Article by Christopher Long, Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "PLEASANT HILL, TX," http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/PP/hrpub.html (accessed December 21, 2004).
Map showing location
Pleasant Hill School, 1932-33
Pleasant Hill School Friends
Pleasant Hill School Students and Teachers - page 1
Pleasant Hill School Students and Teachers - page 2
Pleasant Hill School Students and Teachers - page 3
Students/Teachers, Page 1
Students/Teachers, Page 2 Students/Teachers, Page 3
Created on ... December 21, 2004
Return to the Photographs page
About the awards Lamar County pages have won!
Special thanks to Bob Franks for designing the Lamar County banner.
|If you would like to host a county in Texas, contact the TXGenWeb State Coordinator.|
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.