banner
Wood Cemetery, Lamar County, Texas
LOCATION: Wood Cemetery is in the southwest quadrant of the county. It has not been found by the compiler and could be in Block 53 or 54 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
DIRECTIONS: Not available.
GPS COORDINATES: Not available
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: Unknown.
NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 5 known graves in the cemetery. (July 2017)
SIGNS/MARKERS: There is not a sign for the cemetery.
LAST ENUMERATION: Unknown.
ADD'L INFORMATION: From the records of Elizabeth Booth: Located near Roxton in the southwest quadrant of the county. Dr. Preston Wood came to Texas in the 1850's from Virginia. He completed construction of a plantation home in 1887. After the War Between The States, Dr. Wood married twice, and both wives were sisters, believed to be McGlasson girls. Three children of his first wife and his son Wendle, along with an unknown adult are buried in the original headright. None have death dates. One of Dr. Wood's sisters, Catherine, married Henry R. Johnson. At the time of the recording these children of Catherine and Henry survived; Millard, Betty Johnson Holding of Roxton, Mrs. A. C. McClure of Honey Grove, and Mrs. R. A. Roden of Paris. Dr. Wood admired bisque figurines and often bought them as gifts for his children. He was also a cabinet maker and built a beautiful brocquet. Today this brocquet holds many of these figurines and other antiques. The original home was built with bay windows extending from the upper to the lower floor level. The ceilings were hand painted around the chandeliers. In the early 1900's a storm blew most of the roof away and damaged the west side of the home to the extent the Dr. Wood replaced the fire place with a large bay window. Huge boulders are used for walkways and steps. The porch with the impressive pillars reach the entire length of the house. Ornate gingerbread or pie crust trim edges the porch and windows. Massive hand split cedar beams and boulders form a foundation for this stately old home. A wrought iron fence encloses the once formal gardens and home which would today be an antique lovers delight. The preceding information was given to Elizabeth Booth by Millard and Bess Johnson in 1970.
PICTURE(S):

No Photograph of the Cemetery Is Available


Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.



For questions, corrections, additions or concerns regarding this website, please email the Lamar County, Texas County Coordinator:
Betsy
For information regarding the Civil War pages, please email:
Ron
We regret that we are not able to answer research questions other than those that we have volunteered for on the pages that are linked to this one.

Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.

Copyright © 1996 — — The Lamar County TX Website Team
All Rights Reserved. Limited use rights may be granted by written or electronic permission.

This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.