LOCATION: Shiloh, Old Shiloh and Morgan Cemeteries are located in the northwest quadrant of the county. They are in Block 30 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. Shiloh, Old Shiloh, and Morgan all occupy virtually the same geographical area with Morgan being on the west, Old Shiloh on the south and southeast and Shiloh being on the east. Shiloh Black Cemetery's name may be confused with another nearby cemetery named El Bethel Cemetery as El Bethel has a state sign that directs to it naming it Brookston Shiloh Cemetery. DIRECTIONS: From Highway 1510, turn south on CR 33015, proceed .2 miles to where the road dead ends. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 39' 33.21 N, 95° 39' 54.53 W.
(33.65923 Latitude and -95.66515 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest inscribed grave is that of Lewis D. Huddleston who died 17 May 1945. Old Shiloh is in the woods southwest of Shiloh Black Cemetery.The oldest inscribed grave is that of Nancy D. Little who died 5 May 1866. The oldest grave in Morgan Cemetery is that of James W. Morgan who died 30 Sep 1864. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 64 known graves in the Shiloh cemetery. There are 32 known graves in the Old Shiloh/Morgan Cemetery. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is a state highway marker for the cemetery.
Historic Texas Cemetery: No Texas Historical Commission Marker: No
LAST ENUMERATION: The cemetery was recorded in March 1994 by Ron Brothers. Old Shiloh and Morgan cemeteries were surveyed 1 Apr 1995, by Ron Brothers and Butch and Betsy Mills. ADD'L INFORMATION: Another marker was discovered north of the fenced area but was listed as being in the Old Shiloh Cemetery.
Morgan and Old Shiloh in the woods have been combined by the compiler. Elizabeth Booth did not record Old Shiloh in the woods. Old Shiloh and Morgan Cemetery are located in the northwest quadrant of the county off Farm Market Road 1510 at the dead end of County Road 33015 west of the road in the edge of the woods. This could also have been called Shiloh. From the records of Elizabeth Booth: 'Located on old Highway 82 West. There are white and blacks buried here but only two markers were visible in Feb. 1974. These were in a small fenced area to the west of most all the other graves. 'There were many [posted] graves... all unidentifiable.' The oldest grave is that of James W. Morgan who died 30 Sep 1864.
View pictures of the headstones.
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.