LOCATION: Shady Grove Black Cemetery is located in the southeast quadrant of the county, west of the Shady Grove Cemetery. It is in Block 50 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. DIRECTIONS: The cemetery is is at the intersection of County Roads 13550 and 14400. First known grave is across a barbed wire fence about 100 feet from the Henry Sparks marker in the main cemetery. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 34' 7.3652" N, -95° 25' 52.9176" W
(33.568713 Latitude and -95.431366 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest inscribed grave is that of Adaline Henson, daughter of B. H. and O. H. Henson, who died 1 Sep 1875. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 17 known graves in the cemetery. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is not a state highway marker for the cemetery.
Historic Texas Cemetery: No Texas Historical Commission Marker: No
LAST ENUMERATION: The cemetery was recorded by Betsy and Butch Mills on November 19, 1992. ADD'L INFORMATION: There are many bois d'arc markers which are probably marking other grave sites. PICTURE(S):
Cemetery photo is not available.
View pictures of the headstones.
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.