LOCATION: Parts of the descriptions of Roland #1 and Roland #2 are duplicated in both records because of the closeness of the two cemeteries. Cemetery is in the southeast quadrant of the county in Block 42 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. DIRECTIONS: Cemetery #1 is located 1.5 miles south of the Sylvan community. All traces of the cemetery have been destroyed. GPS COORDINATES: Not available OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest known grave is that of Sherrod Roland who died in 1848. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 3 known graves in the cemetery. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is not a sign for the cemetery. LAST ENUMERATION: Unknown. ADD'L INFORMATION: According to Nancy Webb Wood, 408 Lilac Dr., El Dorado, AR, 71730, writing on 24 Sep 1994 there were two cemeteries, the first one has been destroyed. See record of Sherrod Roland for more detail.
All evidence of the first cemetery is destroyed. Lamar County headright surveys show the Sherrod Roland heirs acquired 4,506 acres southeast of Paris. Sherrod Roland was born in Montgomery County, N.C. ca. 1788 and died 18 Nov 1848 in Lamar County. He married in 1819 in Morgan County Alabama, to Elizabeth Pace who was born 17 May 1801 and died 1876 at Sylvan. They came to Red River County about 1834. Afterward they came to Lamar County where they resided the remainder of their lives. Elizabeth remained unmarried after her husbands death. Sherrod never made application for the bounty of land due him for 3-6 months service he made in the War of 1812. She applied in 1861 under the act of March 3, 1855. The declarant appointed J.D. Wright to prosecute her claim. This record was found in Austin Texas Archives, not in Lamar County.
In LOOSE LEAVES OF THE HISTORY OF LAMAR COUNTY by Ed H. McCuistion: "Sherrod Roland built, what is believed to be the first corn and wheat mill in the county, located 1/2 mile south of Sylvan, near the old Roland family cemetery. He co-signed the affidavit with Tom Gregg, that Alexander Graham came to the valley in 1836." Sherrod Roland donated the land and had built the first church house in Lamar County in 1846 (Lamar County Deed Book D, p. 11) known as Old Mulberry Church of Christ and also as a school.
The following persons are known to be buried here: Benjamin Sherrod Roland Feb 1840 - 7 Apr 1905, Elizabeth Pace Roland 17 May 1801 - 1876 and Sherrod Roland 1788/1790 - 1848.
No Photograph of the Cemetery Is Available
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.