LOCATION: Old Denton Cemetery is located west of Roxton, in the southwest quadrant of the county. It is in Block 45 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. ALSO KNOWN AS: The obituary of Viola B. Ingram Creed names it as "Old Oak Ridge Cemetery" and it is sometimes referred to as Old Roxton. DIRECTIONS: The cemetery is located on Farm Market 137 west of Roxton. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 34' 32.42 N, 95° 43' 38.78 W
(33.5756722 Latitude and -95.7274389 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest inscribed grave is that of Henry T. Denton who died 7 Dec 1876. However, Henry T. Denton is not buried there but is buried in Lee Roxton. See his record for an explanation. This then makes the tombstone of Eddie Glover, who died 24 Feb 1883, the oldest inscribed stone. It was told to Elizabeth Booth by Mrs. Drew Swearengen, in 1971, that Jim Denton was the first burial and that an Ashley child was the second person buried here. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 198 known graves in the cemetery. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is a state highway marker for the cemetery.
Historic Texas Cemetery: No Texas Historical Commission Marker: No
LAST ENUMERATION: Elizabeth Booth recorded the cemetery in 1971. ADD'L INFORMATION: Lamar County Deed Records, Book 76, p. 310, "...that J. W. Denton, Sr. and wife Mary M. of the said county... for $5.00... paid by John W. Denton Jr.... one acre of land... about 500 yards west of Roxton... to be used for a graveyard." PICTURE(S):
View pictures of the headstones.
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.