LOCATION: Jewish Cemetery is located on the eastern side of the Oddfellow Cemetery. DIRECTIONS: Jewish Cemetery was located on 17th NE. The land was declared abandoned and the city of Paris sold lots. Houses are built on most of what was the Jewish portion of the cemetery. Oddfellow cemetery's eastern boundary ends at a house on the eastern side of the cemetery which fronts Pine Bluff street. The western fence of this home is the eastern boundary of Oddfellow and continues along the same north to south line to Price Street. Any burials west of this line were in Oddfellow and any east of this line were in the Jewish cemetery. Burials to the south of Jewish Cemetery is where Lamar county once buried paupers. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 39' 46.26 N, 95° 32' 15.56 W
(33.66285 Latitude and -95.537655555 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest inscribed grave is that of Israel Trilling who died 18 Jan 1886. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 13 known graves in the cemetery. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is a sign for the cemetery. LAST ENUMERATION: Not known. ADD'L INFORMATION: Zoe Hazlewood of Paris was told by resident Sy Wyler that all the bodies in the Jewish cemetery were exhumed and removed to the state of New York in 1921. Zoe remembers seeing a number of tombstones with Hebrew symbols on them at one time. She also remembers seeing many depressions in that part of the cemetery meaning many graves were unmarked and were settled. PICTURE(S):
View pictures of the headstones.
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.