LOCATION: Forest Hill Cemetery is located in the northwest quadrant of the county, north of Petty in the community of Forest Hill. It is in Block 36 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. DIRECTIONS: Take Highway 38 north from Highway 82 [west of Petty] for 3 miles. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 38' 53.45 N, 95° 49' 11.07 W.
(33.63886111 Latitude and -95.74586389 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest inscribed grave is that of William Bell Burgher, a child of Young and Mary A. Burgher, who died 12 Nov 1856. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 935 known graves in the cemetery. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is a state highway marker for the cemetery. LAST ENUMERATION: The cemetery was recorded by Ron Brothers, Patricia Ferguson, Mary Lane, Ruth Renfro and Roberta Woods on 25 Jan 1992. ADD'L INFORMATION: Among those buried in Forest Hill is John Alfred Rutherford, the first Chief Justice of Lamar County during the Republic of Texas. The cemetery was recorded by Ron Brothers, Patricia Ferguson, Mary Lane, Ruth Renfro and Roberta Woods on 25 Jan 1992. PICTURE(S):
View pictures of the headstones.
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.