LOCATION: Blossom Black Cemetery was found while searching for Griffis Cemetery on 20 Feb 1993. It is located in Block 35 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. DIRECTIONS: The cemetery is located two miles east of the town of Blossom, next to the Missouri-Pacific Railroad (now the Northeast Texas Trail). The cemetery is not accessible by developed road and is due north of Farm Market Road #194. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 39' 31.39" N, -95° 20' 42.27" W
(33.658719 Latitude and -95.345075 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest known burial is Diannor Marvill who died 11 Feb 1886. NUMBER OF GRAVES: Two graves were found, those of J. W. White and Will Aikins, but there was evidence of perhaps 100 graves in this heavily wooded area. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is not a sign for the cemetery. LAST ENUMERATION: On 20 Feb 1993. Carmen Burks, Betsy Mills and Ron Brothers were taken to an abandoned Black Cemetery on private property. ADD'L INFORMATION: Blossom Black Cemetery was found while searching for Griffis Cemetery on 20 Feb 1993. Carmen Burks, Betsy Mills and Ron Brothers were taken to an abandoned Black Cemetery on private property next to the Missouri-Pacific Railroad. The owner called it an old slave's cemetery. The cemetery is not accessible by developed road. The owner told that about 1987 there was a train derailment right on the cemetery and that railroad crews came through with bull dozers and destroyed most of the cemetery and its markers. It is not known what the true name of the cemetery is and it is assigned this name for now. At present there are 5 recorded graves. According to another source there are more graves on the other side of the tracks. Johnnie Lee abstracted the following deed in Book U2, p. 363: 'deeded by Elizabeth, P. G., Thomas and Sheb Bason to Lee Reynolds and Claborn Daniels, trustees of Oak Hill Missionary Baptist Church, 2 acres on the north side of T & P railroad tracks on the B. J. Drummond Headright, being on the west boundary line of said headright, 12 Jan 1884.' The following persons are known to be buried here: Will Aikins 1869 - 10 Oct 1917, Eld. P. Herrod 5 Jun 1822 - 19 Apr 1889, Diannor Marvill 10 Jan 1820 - 11 Feb 1886, Mahalie Shelton Born not known - 6 Jan 1913 and Jake W. White 1857 - 14 Dec 1906 PICTURE(S): No photograph is available.
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.