LOCATION: DIRECTIONS: From 82 West, go south on FM 38. Turn left (east) onto CR 24800 (also called Arkansas Church Road). Cemetery is about half a mile down and on the right. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 34' 19.22" N, -95° 42' 54.23" W
(33.572006 Latitude and -95.715064 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest inscribed grave in the cemetery is that of Jeremiah M. Blevins who died 6 Dec 1887. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 106 graves including the unknowns. (July 2017) SIGNS/MARKERS: There is a state highway sign for the cemetery on FM 38.
Historic Texas Cemetery: No Texas Historical Commission Marker: No
LAST ENUMERATION: Arkansas was recorded by Tony and Elizabeth Booth on January 23, 1971. ADD'L INFORMATION: Lamar Co., Deed Book 55, p. 294 states: "...one acre of land to the new Friendship Church by J. M. Blevins and wife Susan M., located 11 miles SW of Paris... May 20, 1887." The Blevins land was a part of the old Ward Survey. The land was given for the church in May, and Mr. Blevins died Dec. 6, 1887. Thus it is believed that his was the first burial, and is, by the dates on the various stones. The church building stood until destroyed by a storm, in 1926, according to Mr. Henry Springer, interviewed in January of 1971. He also stated that Mexican laborers were buried in the SW corner of the cemetery. The Blevins land is now referred to as the Jones-Springer land. There is a small community in Arkansas known as Blevins. Perhaps the families were related and the burial site so named for Arkansas relations, but this has not been specifically proven. PICTURE(S):
View pictures of the headstones.
Search for names in this and other cemeteries.
Return to the map page.
Return to the list of cemeteries.
Return to the main Lamar County, TX page.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
Copyright © 1996 —
— The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.